The beauty behind social media is that it is a built-in handshake ready to be embraced. It creates a connection far beyond the boundaries of city limits. With every handshake comes an opportunity. It creates a space for introduction, conversation, and the potential for growth. Social Media is constant, and yet forever changing. It has superseded all expectations and continues to spotlight its original intent to connect people. It is used in a professional capacity, creating a space for learning, and reaching a network that spans the globe. It is right there in front of you… now, what will you do?
Extend Your Hand
Go ahead, just do it! From the moment you create your first account, you begin the journey of building your very own Professional (Personalized) Learning Network (PLN). Twitter is a great jumpstart in Social Media, an energetic experience that intensifies with each connection. Each click to “follow” is a connection to someone that is willing to share. It is remarkable to have this unique opportunity to build a space that you can grow in on your own time with the amount of positive energy needed and bandwidth that you possess. You will be introduced to a group of people to learn and share ideas with… a space to feel nurtured in, inspired, respected, and ultimately gain unlimited knowledge.
Unlike years ago when we could walk into a district office and shake hands with a possible future employer, we must now extend ourselves through a digital world with little to no personal contact. With every click of a follow, an impactful handshake is given. It is an introduction to an administrator or future colleague. It is a new resume created with each post, a pre-interview with every chat that helps you to reflect on current practices, a digital footprint that shows your bravery and respect, a glimpse into your classroom, and your WHY all rolled into one! It is your handshake! It is a space to connect with experts in a wide range of fields beyond a personal knowledge base. This is where to be in today’s educational field, shaking hands with the world!
The impact of being a connected educator is truly limitless!
Benefits of a PLN
- Connections to people/groups/expertise both in and out of education. Simply start by following just one person. You can then see who they follow. Or type in a grade level or subject that may connect you to a specific space. Let me be that one person for you, I’d love to connect!
- Specialized resources tailored for you and your students
- Professional Development that is personalized to your needs. Many educators offer free workshops. Once you find something that fits your need, you may then want to invest and dive deeper into a course. It is truly a limitless space!
- Jump over to Facebook where Bitmoji Craze Educators rallied together to provide a free space for all educators. Many of these educators have their own website where they offer free downloads to get you started.
- Connect to authors and a wealth of innovative practices. Go one step further and join a book study with them! Get started on your journey with #Read2LEAD
- Share your wealth… never underestimate your worth… your ideas… someone needs them! Impact as many students as possible by sharing your own best practices!
- Inspiration at your fingertips: blogs, podcasts, websites, videos, articles, interviews, and much more… an a la carte experience!
- Endless support… just post what you need and tag a couple of educators. If they don’t have the answer, they will connect you with someone who does!
- Break down the walls for yourself and your students! Give your students an authentic audience beyond your grade level, create a global hallway!
Remember, it isn’t about having all the answers, rather extending your practice to gain access to them!
1 thought on “Social Media is the New Handshake”
I loved all of the information that you had on PLN and creating a PLN for you yourself to gain the most information from. I like all of the tips that you gave. Thank you for the post!